Every commercial building and business in the township must be inspected yearly to ensure that all buildings abide by the Uniform Fire Codes of New Jersey. Some of the more commonly found violations that are found by the Fire Prevention Bureau are:
- Blocked Fire Exits - All Exit doors must be kept clear at all times.
- Exit Lights Not Illuminated - Exits lights must be light at all times.
- Emergency Lights Not Working - These lights provide light to the occupants in case of emergency.
- Fire Extinguisher Maintenance - These must be maintained tested yearly; the testing company will place a tag on each extinguisher showing when the last test date was.
- Fire Extinguishers Required - Each business should have at least one fire extinguisher is a 2a 20bc. Please check with the Fire Prevention Bureau for how many are required.
- General House Cleaning - Do not let items that can easily catch on fire accumulate.
- Extension Cord - These are only permitted for use as a temporary power source, such as plugging in a drill. Extension cords maybe are prohibited as a permanent means of a power source.
- There are many more violations that can be cited. Please check with the Fire Marshal's Office if you have any questions.