Mount Olive Township is comprised of 32 square miles. It consists of two sections: Budd Lake, named for John Budd, who acquired 1,300 acres of land in the area in 1714, and Flanders, named for a group of early settlers who vacationed in Flanders, Long Island. Roads in the Township are named after settlers such as: Smithtown because of the many Smiths that lived here; Drakestown named for the Drakes; Bartley Road for the Bartley family; Waterloo, which had served as a French Army Officer’s hospital in 1740.
The Township of Mount Olive was named after Benjamin Olive, a local land owner. Mount Olive began on March 22, 1871 through the splitting of the area known as Roxbury Township.